The Importance of Caring For Your Leather Wallet
Full-grain leather wallets are a thing to behold. These carefully crafted accessories can last for decades when they are looked after properly. While leather is considered a highly durable material able to withstand plenty of wear and tear that isn’t to say that it doesn’t need a little TLC every now and again.
When neglected, leather products can sustain everyday issues such as scratches, water damage and stains more easily. This will both impact the look and quality of the leather material. Additionally, not caring for your leather wallet could end up costing you more - without regular cleaning and conditioning, you may be replacing your wallet sooner than expected.
Wallets and purses made from real, full-grain leather are an investment piece. So, why not treat them as they deserve to be treated?
How to Clean and Condition Leather Accessories: Step by Step Guide
Now that we’ve covered why it is essential to care for leather accessories correctly, the next step is to learn how. Below are the top cleaning steps that you’ll need to follow:
Cleaning a Leather Wallet
- Firstly, remove all items from your leather wallet and shake it out. Through use, dirt and dust can build up on the inside of your wallet. Make sure to check every single crevice and fold. If you can still see some dirt in the corners, grab a straw and blow until the dirt loosens. Then you can easily get rid of any dust or dirt that’s hiding.
- Wipe down the outside of your wallet using a clean, dry microfiber cloth. This will get rid of any dirt or dust that is lying on the leather’s surface.
- Next, grab your leather cleaner. Using a soft cloth, apply the cleaner gently in circular motions. Once the whole wallet has been covered, use a slightly damp cloth to remove the product thoroughly.
- Lastly, grab another clean cloth and carefully wipe down the leather using a specially formulated leather conditioner. This will help to prevent the leather from cracking and will also keep it weather-proof.
It’s as simple as that. While you won’t need to go through each step of the cleaning process each time, it is good to get into the habit of cleaning and storing your leather accessories properly on a regular basis.
Top Care Tips for Leather Wallets
When we talk about caring for leather goods, we don’t just mean giving it a wipe down with a clean cloth every now and again. No, we’re also referring to how you use leather wallets too. Everything from where you keep it to how you use it can impact its longevity.
With that said, here are the top leather wallet care tips you need to keep in mind:
- Don’t Stuff Your Wallet - While the thought of a wallet overflowing with cash is a dream for many, it’s not doing your leather wallet any favours. One of the worst mistakes that you can make is stretching out the leather grain. If this happens, it can be undone. To keep your wallet looking brand new, only use it to store around the essentials.
- Take Your Wallet Out of Your Pocket Before Sitting Down - Most men tend to keep their wallets in their back pocket when they are out and about. While there’s nothing wrong with this, it can be detrimental to the leather if you forget to take your wallet out before sitting down. When extra pressure or weight is placed on top of your leather wallet, this stresses the material.
- Clean with the Right Products - Leather products should only ever be cleaned with leather cleaning solutions and creams. Regular cleaning products can damage the quality of the leather and influence its colour. When testing new leather cleaning solutions, it is advisable to do a patch test first.
- Keep It Protected From the Elements - Weather conditions such as rain or extreme temperatures can cause the material’s finish to become stained, bubble, or peel away. Make sure to weather-proof your leather wallet by using a leather conditioner.
Our Favourite Leather Wallets
At Hides Canada, our high-quality, handmade leather wallets are designed to stand the test of time (when looked after correctly, of course). Using the finest of Italian brass hardware and full-grain leather materials, we craft a range of leather accessories including wallets, bags, belts, and more.
[gallery size="medium" ids="21011,21013,21012"]